School Innovation & Improvement Plan
Complete ESSER School Funding Plan
School Innovation and Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
Glasgow Middle School | Fairfax County Public Schools | Region 2
2022-2023 ESSER III/SIPP At-A-Glance
Background: The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
ESSER III English Language Arts Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- Strategy 1: Continue refining and perfecting the use of reading and writing workshop so that students spend a majority of class practicing literacy skills modeled during the focus lesson. Teachers provide timely feedback during Tier 1 instruction through conferring and small group instruction
- Strategy 2: Support teams through the work of the instructional CT cycle so that teachers can design assessments, create targeted focus lessons, analyze student data, and provide enrichment and interventions
- Strategy 3: Students will participate in Tier 2 and Tier 3 intervention through FIT( Flexible Instructional Time), small groups, and after school reteaching with teacher.
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
- Strategy 1: Continue refining and perfecting the use of Math workshop so that students spend a majority of the class time practicing the math concepts modeled during the focused lesson and receive feedback during Tier 1 instruction.
- Strategy 2: Students will be provided Tier 2 and Tier 3 intervention through Flexible Instruction Time, small groups, and after school.
- Strategy 3: Using the walkthrough cycle to continuously improve instruction focusing on student collaboration, student independence, and academic stamina.
ESSER III Wellness Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- Strategy 1: The PBIS program will build a caring culture through the three commitments of kindness, commitment, and safety.
- Strategy 2: The Multi-Tiered System of Support committee will empower all staff with effective classroom management and will coordinate interventions to support students to succeed.